DECK PLANK CLIP AND SCREW OPTIONS
Best Deck Clips and Screws
No composite wood deck planks can be fitted without clips or screws. Often, our quoted prices are compared to quotes from other companies that don’t include the clips and screws, but only cover the square metre cost of the decking planks. But, our quotes always include the necessary clips and screws, so there are no nasty surprises to when receiving a formal quotation.
One should always use the clips and screws that come with the product. This way, there are no loopholes to escape if there is ever a problem under guarantee.
Best Deck has three different clip options we stock and three different screw options.
Note: Best Deck has stainless steel clips, but we do not carry a large stock of these regular stainless steel deck clips (unlike our narrow gap stainless steel clip for a specific application). Our reasons are explained in detail under Black Teflon Plastic Clips.
Clips and Screws
- Black plastic Teflon clip
- Narrow gap stainless steel clip
- Self-drilling tech screw
- Screw for a timber structure
- Pan Head self-drilling tech screw
When communicating with Best Deck, it is important that both you and whoever is assisting you both know what type of structure or framework is being used so that the correct screws are quoted for.
The images below are of our range of clips and screws, including comprehensive information. This will help you to understand more about these very important fixing accessories and their importance to the end result. Best Deck wants to ensure that you are getting exactly what you expect. We understand that the “little things”, like the clips and screws, are actually the big things and are very important to the end result.
When using the black tephlon clip, there is a 5mm gap created between the planks. This 5mm gap is where the driver of the screw must fit in-between the deck planks to screw down the fixing screw through the clips. This means there is a small space to work with little room for error. One must not use a driver that damages the planks on either side of the gap once the screw is in its fixed position. Best Deck regularly encounters this post-installation damage.
CLIPS AND SCREWS
Black Teflon Plastic Clips
This clip is by far Best Deck’s biggest seller. We supply and install these clips all over South Africa and into Africa. To date, after about a decade of installing them, we have never had a claim on our manufacturer due to clip product failure. These clips make sense; they do what they are supposed to do. Importantly, the black plastic Teflon clips are very well priced too. A deck project is an expensive exercise, so all savings help.
- This clip is 30mm long x 11.5mm high x 4.5mm thick at the lip of the clip that will be fitted into the recess or groove that goes down the length of the plank.
- The width of the clip is 18mm wide. Once fitted in place between the planks, there will be a 5mm gap between the planks.
- Best Deck believes that the gap between the planks is part of the aesthetic look of a deck; as opposed to no gap, which could look more like a floor than a deck (see information on the narrow gap clip).
- The bottom of the clip sits on your deck structure material with a screw inserted into the screw hole of the clip.
- The pressure on the clip is what keeps the planks in place. But, they still allow the planks to expand and contract as they adjust to the environment.
- Once installed, all clips and screws are below the level of the deck. So, when one looks across the deck, there are no visible fixings.
- While we do sometimes use stainless steel clips, this is more often for a specific application. The black Teflon clip with the black screw is the way to go in most applications for the best aesthetics.
How Many Clips and Screws are Required for a Square Metre of Best Deck Composite Wood Products?
- If your support structure supports are fitted at 350mm apart which is our specification, you will need 26 clips and 26 screws per square metre.
Narrow Gap Stainless Steel Clip
In our opinion, this clip should only be used for a specific application. It is best used in applications when you actually need a floor, but you would like a deck. It combines the best of both of these applications.
Examples of specific applications for which to use this narrow gap stainless steel clip:
- If you build a tented camp and need to have a heavy duty, easy-to-look-after surface inside the tents, with no gap and a proper seal. This clip reduces the gap to a 2mm spacing, which can be sealed with the right silicone.
- Your venue needs a sturdy dance floor with a narrower gap so that high heels cannot get caught between the planks. For this the narrow gap clip is ideal.
Why Best Deck suggest the narrow gap clips only for a specific application
- Installing a deck with these narrow gap stainless steel clips takes a lot longer, so it should cost more from a labour aspect.
- If there is a problem somewhere on a deck that has been built using the narrow gap clips and you need to get a plank out or make changes to the framework, you would need to uplift all the planks. The narrow gap between the planks does not allow a driver to fit between the planks. You cannot get to the screw holding the planks in place, so all the planks in front or behind must come out.
- These narrow gap clips are three times the price of the black Teflon clip. Because 26 clips are required per square metre, this adds more to the bottom line, especially on big projects.
Silver Range Clip and Clad Wall Cladding Clips
As composite wood products evolve, so does Best Deck’s product range. The Best Deck clip and clad wall cladding panelling system is our latest addition to the range. This system makes use of a stainless steel clip specifically designed for this product and cannot be used with any other clip than the one for which it is designed.
- As with both our Gold and Diamond range wall cladding, this clip and clad panelling system has a hidden fixing application.
- There are no gaps between these planks.
- This system needs 25 clips and 25 screws per square metre based on joist /support/ structure /spaced at 350mm centre to centre as per our specification.
Best Deck Fixing Screw Options
Best Deck has all the correct screws you need to install our top-notch products. It is important that we know what framework you will be using so that we can quote on the correct screws. Best Deck has three screw type options:
Self-drilling tech screw | Screws for a timber structure | Pan Head self-drilling tech screws
These Images show and explain visually how one can incorporate the narrow gap stainless steel clips and the standard black tephlon clips together, as well as what can be achieved using the narrow gap stainless steel clip
- This is a tented bush camp in Botswana ,where the inside of the tents required a closed floor ,but they wanted it to match the outside decking ,so
- Using the narrow gap stainless steel clip and inserting a line of silicone they achieved exactly what they wanted
In this image to the left of the pillar the standard black tephlon clip has been used ,and to the right of the pillar the narrow gap stainless steel clip has been used .
The finished installation of the inside of the tents one can see how with the narrow gap stainless steel clip and a line of silicone the desired end result has been achieved . The external decking ties up and into perfectly.